Here’s some homework to prepare everybody for Tuesday’s post. It’s important that you all start to see the scaffolding of movies so follow these steps and post your results below.
1) Take out a piece of loose leaf paper.
2) Number it from 1 – 5 giving yourself a few lines between numbers.
3) Label them as follows:
1. Inciting Incident (I write “1: INC/INC”)
2. Midpoint Turnaround (I write “2: MP”)
3. End of Act 2, all is lost moment (or “3: EA2”)
4. The 3rd Act Setback (“4: SB”)
5. The SUPERFREAK (“5: SUPERFREAK!!!”)
4) Now think of your favorite movie and see if you can identify those five points.
You should be able to do this from memory.
For extra credit, do 3 or more until you start to feel comfortable with these 5 plot points. For extra-extra credit, do 3 movies you haven’t seen yet based on their posters.
Next week we’ll learn a great technique for spitballing our own stories.